Returning from Leave?
Any members returning from maternity leave need to notify the SBEA, firstname.lastname@example.org, noting their name and return date.
SBEA hosted a Maternity Workshop that took place on March 18th, 2020 via web conference. The workshop was hosted by Tom Hayden from NJEA. Topics included our contract, State and Federal Family Leave Acts, and much more. If you are interested… here is a link to the handouts in case you were unable to join.
Buy Back Time:
For anyone who wants to buy back maternity leave time, please call this number at NJEA: 609-599-4561. Please ask for Pension and Benefits Dept. There will someone there who can give you the specifics.
Child Rearing Leave Agreements, as per our Contract
B. Child-Rearing Leave
1. In the case of a birth of a child, any teacher shall have the right to apply for a leave without pay for child-rearing purposes.
2. Application for child-rearing leave shall be made by the teacher to the Superintendent at least three (3) months prior to the anticipated birth of the child.
3. a. Child-rearing leave shall be granted to tenured teachers for the balance of the school year (concluding June 30) in which the child is born and for two (2) additional school years if the teacher so desires.
b. If the initial child-rearing leave begins prior to April 1, the tenured teacher shall inform the Board, in writing, by April 1st whether she or he desires a leave for the following year. This leave process shall be available to the teacher for each of the two (2) full additional years referred to 3. a. above.
c. If the initial child-rearing begins on or after April 1, the tenured teacher must make application for the first full year of leave at this time, if she/he desires leave for the first full school year following the birth.
4. A tenured teacher who is on a child-rearing leave under provisions of B. 3. above and plans to use either or both of the two full school years following the birth of the child may apply for the additional available year(s) making application on the form provided by the Superintendent no later than April 1st prior to the termination of the leave already granted under B. 3. above.
5. Any teacher adopting a child shall be granted a child-rearing leave in conformity with the provisions of B. 3. which shall commence upon the date such teacher obtains custody of the child. Since such date of custody cannot be predicted in all cases, notice shall be given to the Superintendent at least sixty (60) days prior to the anticipated date of custody if possible, and if not, as soon as practicable. An extension of child-rearing leave may be made under the provisions of B. 4.
6. Child-rearing leave shall be granted to non-tenured teachers for the balance of the school year (concluding June 30) in which the child is born. The rights of non-tenured teachers who receive such an unpaid leave of absence with respect to consideration for re-employment shall be the same as the rights of any other non-tenured teacher.
7. Nothing herein shall prevent the teacher and the Board from agreeing that a teacher may return sooner than the leave termination date granted if such earlier return is administratively convenient to the Board and is not medically contraindicated, under the provisions of B. 4.
8. Upon return from a child-rearing leave all benefits to which the teacher was entitled at the time of the commencement of leave, including unused accumulated sick leave, shall be restored. This provision does not extend to reinstitution of the percentage level under dental insurance unless the teacher has continued said insurance under the provisions of 9. below. An employee returning from this leave shall receive dental insurance based upon the rules of the carrier.
9. The Board of Education shall pay the cost of medical insurance for tenured teachers three (3) months following the start of the leave or one (1) month following the birth, whichever occurs first. A teacher on child-rearing leave shall be permitted to continue on the dental and prescription plans on a reimbursement basis under rules established by the Administration. Upon application for any leave, the Board will provide the teacher with written notice of the medical insurance options available to the teacher.